A hydrating moisturizer with a bit of coverage, tinted moisturizers serve as a lightweight alternative to foundation. To apply tinted moisturizer correctly, follow these three simple steps:
- Step 1: Start by washing your face with a cleanser and drying off with a towel. Follow up with the rest of your morning skin care regimen including serum and moisturizer.
- Step 2: Apply a small amount of your tinted moisturizer to clean fingers, warming up the product in your hands.
- Step 3: Gently massage the tinted moisturizer onto your cheeks, forehead, and chin, blending onto the neck as well. Lightly pat your face to even out your coverage, concentrating on dispersing the product around the nose and eye area.
While tinted moisturizers can be applied with a makeup brush or sponge, they apply most seamlessly with the fingers. Feel free to apply concealer over your tinted moisturizer for more coverage on areas that need it such as the under eyes or blemishes.
Can You Use Tinted Moisturizer Instead of Foundation?
Tinted moisturizers are great to use in place of foundation if you have normal to dry skin and don’t need much coverage. Foundations are best for oilier skin types or those looking for more coverage, but at the end of the day, it’s really up to your personal preference! Tinted moisturizers serve as a natural, lightweight option for day-to-day wear.
How to Make Tinted Moisturizer Last All Day
A makeup setting powder can be applied over your tinted moisturizer to make it last all day. This step can be especially helpful for those with oily or combination skin.
Best Tinted Moisturizers for Mature Skin
A few of our favorite tinted moisturizers for mature skin include:
- Tinted Face Oil - Similar to the texture of a lightweight serum, the Tinted Face Oil from Kosas provides sheer to medium coverage with a velvety smooth finish that looks natural and breathable. Formulated with avocado, rosehip seed, and jojoba oil, this unique formula provides hydrating benefits to the skin. This tinted moisturizer is most suitable for normal to dry skin types.
- It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+ - A lightweight foundation, skin care, and sun protection product in one tube, Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+ from IT Cosmetics, offers buildable coverage, moisturizing benefits, UV protection, and anti-aging ingredients. This is the ultimate tinted moisturizer to help you achieve a smooth, radiant, and hydrated complexion.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Protector Broad Spectrum SPF 30 - A bestselling tinted moisturizer that offers sun protection from harmful UV rays, the Natural Skin Protector from Laura Mercier provides hydrating skin care benefits and a sheer hint of coverage for an effortless, dewy finish.
- PCA Skin Sheer Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 45 - A universally flattering tinted moisturizer with UV protection, the Sheer Tint Broad Spectrum SPF 45 from PCA Skin blurs imperfections and provides a powerful boost of antioxidants to fight against free radical damage. Its formulation is also water-resistant, making it a great option to wear to the pool or beach.
Other articles you might be interested in
This year, for the first 12 days of December, we’re giving away a different, free coveted beauty gift from top brands like Oribe, Sunday Riley, Dr. Dennis Gross, FOREO and more. Check out each beauty gift for ALL 12 days so you can plan your shopping accordingly.
Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo is formulated with a patented ingredient that works to re-link broken hair bonds, improving the hair’s strength and reducing breakage. Here’s how to use Olaplex No. 4 on bleached or color-treated hair.